Thursday, October 24, 2013

Old Baker Farm

Last Saturday, we braved the rain and went to Old Baker Farm. It's become a family tradition to visit a pumpkin patch each year (although Joel is not nearly as big of a fan of it as I am!). I love it though and so do the kids!
 
As many pretty days as we've had the past few weeks, the one day we plan to go the pumpkin patch is as ugly as can be. I guess the positive was that it wasn't that crowded!
 
Hudson has always loved riding the little tractors right when you walk in. Harrison loved them this year too even though his legs weren't quite long enough to pedal. 
 

I tried to get a cute one of them smiling by the pumpkins, but it just wasn't happening. This one was the best we could do. The reality of this picture is that Hudson is mad because he didn't want to get his pants dirty while sitting on wet hay, and Harrison was more interested in going to see the animals. Oh the things we do (we might have threatened!) to make them say "cheese" for one picture.


Harrison was all about the hay bale pyramid and wanted to climb to the top! My fearless child for sure. Hudson got up one level and wanted to get down immediately! To his credit, there was a civil war re-enactment going on, that included the firing of guns, that he was way more interested in.



 The token hay ride picture...
One of the reasons that we have always loved Old Baker Farm over the other ones is that it is way less commercialized, and it is a working farm. Normally, you pick your pumpkin right off the vine. However, what we heard this year was that all of the rain we had knocked out the pumpkin crop and so there weren't many this year. They had to buy them and put them in the patch. Which, would be fine if you didn't actually have to see the big truck in the patch throwing out pumpkins from big boxes...sort of took away from the experience for me! The boys obviously did not care one bit and loved picking out their own pumpkins! Much to Joel's dismay, we got our money's worth and made him carry four pumpkins out! Hey, we paid for it!

 "Boys, stand together and show me your pumpkins!" Geez, they followed directions! :)

I think these next couple of pictures are hilarious! I don't know why Hudson wanted to put the pumpkin on his head, but it makes me laugh!


Before we left, we had to do the corn maize. I love doing the corn maize. Joel hates the corn maize. Maybe that's why I like it so much! :) Once again, like last year, we got stuck in the middle and Hudson said he had to go to the bathroom. We actually let him pull the ole pants down in the middle of the maize and he then claimed he had to go #2. Not letting him do that in the patch! So, we maybe only cheated once and cut through a row of corn to make it out!

Celebratory picture showing we made it out! Oh and I failed to mention that it started pouring when we were in the middle of the maize! I can tell you that it was a very pleasant experience for the Reed fam! :)
Despite getting stuck in the maize in the rain, we really had a great time! I just love this time of year and all the "fall" things there are to do!

Hudson and I are headed to Clanton tomorrow with his class to do the pumpkin patch there! He is SO excited and I am too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment