Friday, October 11, 2013

2 Year Old "Well" Check Up

Harrison had his two year old checkup this morning and he had the following stats:
 
Weight: 31 pounds (75th percentile)
Height: 36 inches (75th percentile)
 
He is still big, but is finally slowing down some on his growth! Maybe I won't get asked if he's 3 years old anymore! :) Dr. C. said he's on track to be 6 feet. I'll take that!
 
We had a good checkup EXCEPT...he has another stinkin' EAR INFECTION. Yep, just don't ask me about it because the tears might start flowing. I know there could be far worse things wrong, but this is just really, really frustrating. We knew it would happen eventually, just not 4 weeks (really 3 weeks since his fever on his birthday was likely the ear infection) after he started school back. Since his fever last week, he had really been fine and we could tell he was getting over the crud. Yesterday, he had the throw ups and his teacher told me that a virus was going around his class, so I just assumed it was the dreaded 24 hour bug and I was waiting all day for the next one of us to go down with it. Oh how I wish it would have been the stomach bug instead of due to the ear infection (sort of!)!
 
So, we were sent home with yet another prescription for an antibiotic, which I did my best to fight having to go home with it, but Dr. C. said we just couldn't leave that untreated. It's a good thing we already have an ENT appointment set up for next week. Someone must have known we were going to need it...
 
Other than that, which we clearly spent the most time talking about, he is right on track with his speech and development, which I was thankful for since I feel like he has done a lot of catching up these past few months. He got one shot and the flu mist and did great.

Sorry, a lot of the same picture, but I just couldn't decide which one to post! They were all adorable! Both boys were being total hams!

Harrison's tractor birthday cake!
This boy LOVED being sung to! This is my favorite picture from his little birthday celebration. He is just mesmerized by the whole thing! Love that little tongue sticking out!

He loves telling us that he's "2" now. We did not get any good pictures of the present opening, but he loved opening up all of his presents! He did this all himself (well, Hudson just couldn't stand it and helped him on some presents), which was fun, and then after he opened up all of his presents, he gave each new thing equal playing time. It was so sweet and made all of us really happy because we all felt like he truly enjoyed each thing he got! It was so fun!




He gave blowing out the candles a valiant effort, but in the end, I believe his older brother might have blown them out instead! :) Poor thing!
My two year old, only using utensils (not hands), and while there is a sippy cup in this picture, it is no longer used at home. He is purely on cups, which I would have never done with Hudson this early, but Harrison sees Hudson using it and absolutely refuses to drink out of the sippy. He is really great at it and does not make a mess at all (unless he is chunking it across the room while throwing a fit, two year old style!).


He can be the sweetest kid in the world, but he can also make my blood pressure rise in a heartbeat! Phew! He is definitely our little fireball, and completely different from Hudson. To describe their two personalities can easily be explained by a balloon. We had blown up a bunch of balloons for Harrison on his birthday, and while Harrison was going around intentionally trying to pop each and every balloon and laughing hysterically when they did pop, Hudson was crying over how scared he was of the noise! :) While Hudson is my compliant child, Harrison, well, not so much. But, he is two so part of that is due to his age! Needless to say, we don't do a lot of eating out these days. You just never know what you're going to get and we would just rather not have to stress about it!
 
While I'm not sure what we are going to do about daycare going forward due to today's diagnosis, he is loving school (which makes me sad to think about pulling him out now)! He no longer cries when I drop him off and he runs in and hugs his teachers. He has learned so much in such a short amount of time. His most recent thing that they have done at school is to learn about Noah and the ark. Harrison will tell you all about the ark and the animals, and if you ask him to tell you the bible verse he learned, he says, "Noah obeys God." We were so proud of him!
 
He is very social too, always saying "hi" and "bye" to strangers, and he is always saying "thank you" if you do anything for him. He also loves to sing! He requests the "E-I-E-L-E" song (the Bible song that spells out Bible in it) every time we get in the car and he just dances and dances to it! He also loves to help feed the dogs, play with trains, trucks, balls...he is a typical boy! He loves to play outside and is already pedaling riding toys and driving the battery powered jeep by himself! He is doing all of these things so much earlier than Hudson. Guess it pays to have an older brother to learn everything from! He's running and skipping and jumping, and going up and down stairs by himself--totally independent! Now, if we could just get him potty trained. I'm not planning to start any time soon, but he does tell me when he has gone and he will go and sit on the potty when you tell him to, so maybe he will train earlier than Hudson...of course Hudson was 3.5 so there's no way it could take that long! I would love for him to be trained by May in time for Disney! We'll see though...I have the "wait until he's ready" attitude so I won't be pushing it at all.
 
One thing that I have noticed recently about Harrison (and I think this is a big developmental milestone), is that he has started to understand the "if you do this, you can do that" reasoning. For example, he will want to go outside, and I will tell him that if he cleans up his toys, then we can go outside. He will immediately start cleaning up so that he can go outside when he's done, instead of throwing a fit about not getting to go outside immediately. We also do this at the dinner table...a lot. If you eat this, you will get dessert...and for the most part, it works now!
 
He's such a different eater than Hudson. Hudson is extremely picky, and the things that he just absolutely despises (like broccoli), Harrison absolutely loves. So, that is a battle because I want to cook that for Harrison, but then Hudson spends the meal complaining about it...because if I cook it, he's going to eat a bite of it! That's the rule! Harrison has always been a good eater, but he has definitely started to slow down and he really doesn't eat all that much at mealtimes. Sleepwise, he is still our awesome sleeper and goes down around 7:30 and wakes up after 7. He takes 3 hour naps. He's still in his crib and I have no plans to change that any time soon (now that I say that, he will probably start climbing out of his crib tomorrow!)!
 
He is going to his second Auburn game tomorrow. I swore last year that it would be another 4 years before I took him to another one, but here we go again. I'm sure it will be a similar situation considering the game is right at naptime! Oh well...I hope he will love Auburn as much as we do! I know that he already loves Aubie! He definitely knows who that is! We will have fun regardless though.
 
Ok I think that about wraps up Harrison's 2nd birthday! Here's to hoping for a lot less sickness in the next year! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment