Sunday, June 19, 2011

Quick Trip to Gulfport and Happy Father's Day

On Friday, Joel and I took a trip down to Gulfport, MS for my good friend Meggan's surprise 30th birthday. I'm SO glad we went (even if we were driving for longer than we were actually there!)! She was shocked that we were there and it was so good to see her. Meggan and I met freshman year in college. We lived a few doors down from each other in the dorm and then pledged the same sorority. We are total opposites--she being the artsy one with an AMAZING voice (she sang the most beautiful duet at our wedding with one of Joel's friends, and we joke that they got a louder ovation when they walked out than we did!), and I being the more athletic--but, I think that's what makes us such good friends! We have a lot to talk about! She lives in Gulfport and is the morning TV anchor there (she has to be at work at 3:30 am every morning!) so we usually only get to see each other a couple of times a year, but it is SO fun when we do! Her little boy Austin was born just a month after Hudson and she is expecting a little girl in about 5 weeks.

Meggan is such a great friend. I will never forget her driving to Birmingham when my brother died to see me for 5 minutes at his visitation. She is just one of those selfless friends that I'm so lucky to have, and I was thrilled to be a part of her birthday surprise! Her husband, John, who she met freshman year, planned a fabulous dinner at the nicest seafood place in Gulfport. It was just such a nice night, complete with a Twilight cake, her obsession! We met them for breakfast on Saturday morning before making the trek back to Birmingham, so we got a great visit in with them while we were there. I didn't want to leave, but hopefully I can go back down there and see her when baby girl arrives!

Hudson got to stay with Migi and Pops for the night and was spoiled to death! We appreciate them keeping him for the night so that we could do this. I think they were exhausted when we picked Hudson up yesterday, but I know they had fun. Hudson woke up this morning asking to go to their house again, so he's just a little obsessed with them! :)

Today is Joel's 3rd Father's Day, and he chose to stay home from church and mow grass. Lucky him! :) Hudson and I let him sleep in this morning and then gave him a homemade card that Hudson colored (I forgot to take a picture), and a gift. We let him be and went to church and then the Reed's came over with lunch to celebrate Father's Day and help us move some furniture. Hudson is now working on a 4 hour nap in his big boy bed. I think the transition is going well!

Joel did have time to give Hudson some golf lessons this morning. Golf may be his calling! He sure has the "slam the golf club into the ground" routine down pat for those times when golf gets a little frustrating! Ha!



Happy Father's Day to Joel, the best dad that Hudson could ever have! And, also a Happy Father's Day to my dad, and to Joel's dad, and also a Happy 35th Anniversary to both of our parents as well--can you believe that they both got married on the same day 35 years ago?!?!? We hope this day has been great for you and we love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mindy,
    My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about Gulfport to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete