Friday, November 23, 2012

Turkey Day!

We are having a nice, relaxing Thanksgiving holiday. It was our year to do Thanksgiving with my family, so we have stayed in Birmingham as opposed to heading up to the lake and it has been very low key and we've gotten some much needed rest and even cleaned out a closet! The toys are getting cleaned out next!
 
Harrison wearing his turkey outfit on Thanksgiving Eve...
 
Hudson and I watched It's a Charlie Brown Thanksgiving on Wednesday night and he helped me bake a little bit. He is in a stage where he loves to help me do all things and I'm loving having the company (even if it brings on an extra mess or two!). I don't know how long my boys will want to help me cook, so I'm milking it while it lasts!
 
Thursday morning, we had a special delivery from my mom, who brought over monkey bread. Every year growing up, we ate monkey bread and drank hot tea while we watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I'm embarassed to say that Mom STILL brings over monkey bread to us each Thanksgiving! It is fabulous. I actually bought the ingredients to make it this year myself, but then she said she was bringing it so I wasn't going to argue with that! It was delicious and while Harrison took a morning nap, Hudson and I watched the parade. Fun times! He especially loved all the balloons and the marching bands.
 
We took a few pictures at our house before heading over to Mom and Dad's for Thanksgiving lunch. These ended up being the only pictures I took all day!
 


 I love this picture of all my boys! It makes me happy!

The boys did not have turkey day outfits this year. Shame on me. I think I finally figured out that buying an outfit for one day out of the year was just not worth it. I cannot say the same for Christmas, however! Harrison did have one, but it was a hand me down and I didn't have anything to match it (because of course they have to match!).

We headed to Mom and Dad's and ate a delicious lunch. We all stuffed ourselves silly. Of course my granddad mentioned right as we were sitting down that traditional Thanksgiving lunches were about 3,500 calories. Thanks Granddaddy. It did not seem to deter me though--I'm pretty sure I ate every bit of those 3,500 calories! :) The kids were not all that interested in eating lunch. They just wanted to play. Oh well. It was a slim crowd at my parents this year. All of my siblings were elsewhere, so it was just us, my parents, my grandmother, and my other grandparents. Like I said, very low key and a big difference from the 40 plus that are at Joel's Thanksgiving lunch! We all had a great time though and it was nice for once not having all the commotion (not that our wild bunch didn't provide a lot of commotion, but we could close them off in the toy room! Ha!). After lunch, we headed home and we all took 3 hour naps! Glorious! It was a perfect Thanksgiving Day! We have so much to be thankful for this year!

This morning, we all headed to the zoo and then lunch at Mugshots. We did NOT go shopping. You couldn't pay me to get in that mess. The zoo was not crowded at all, so it was a perfect day to go!

I'm not sure what is on tap for the rest of the weekend, but it is going by way too fast! I'm enjoying my time off!

No comments:

Post a Comment