Thursday, March 3, 2016

Sweet Mama Jean

We celebrated the life of my sweet Mama Jean today. We are all very sad that she is no longer with us on Earth, but know she is definitely in a better place and is finally reunited with the love of her life, our Daddy Bill! I know she couldn't wait to be with him again!


I really hit the jackpot with grandmothers. Mama Jean was amazing. She was just one of those people that was always "around" growing up. She always told me that since I was the middle child that she wanted to make sure that I was taken care of and always felt special, so Mama Jean and I were super close. I could count on her for anything at anytime and I hate that I cannot just pick up the phone and call her now (if I didn't I was in the doghouse and she would let me know it!)! I knew this day would eventually come, but I was not ready for it yet!

I have so many fond memories with Mama Jean. I remember every Sunday morning as soon as Sunday school let out, Vann, Carrie and I would run to Mama Jean and Daddy Bill's class to see them, and they ALWAYS took us out to eat with them. Just us kids! That was a real treat for us! We just didn't eat out growing up very much. And every Sunday night, we went over to their house for BBQ. We did not miss a Sunday night and it is something that I will always cherish! They always lived just a few blocks from us so we saw them all the time!

Mama Jean was always someone who took care of people who needed it. She was just so generous. I can learn so much from her. Even when she moved into the retirement home, she took care of the other residents and made sure they were all happy! She had quite the reputation at Somerby!

She was feisty too! She was always in charge and ordering people around! She had no filter either (I may have gotten some of that trait--ha!) and always said whatever she was thinking. That was just Mama Jean! It was always a little scary going out to eat with her because she had very high expectations of those who waited on her. Very few passed her test! I can promise you that she still tipped them well though! Ha!

She was ALWAYS the life of the party! She loved her wine and loved to have fun! One of my best memories was at my wedding where she and I danced in the middle of the dance floor by ourselves! I was afraid to get out there by myself and so she took it upon herself to make sure I did and did it with me! I will never forget watching her "get down" almost to the floor and then just pop right back up, all at 80 years of age!

Mama Jean loved my boys like she loved us. And they loved her too! They always wanted to go see Mama Jean--she knew how to win them over. She ALWAYS had a little something for them when we showed up. She kept a stash and that made them so happy! I'm thankful that they were able to really know their great grandmother. That is rare!

Last summer, Mama Jean came down with pneumonia and was just never able to recover. It has been so hard watching the strong woman that she always was decline like she has. I'm so thankful that she is no longer suffering anymore. And I am beyond grateful for the time we had with her. I can't wait to see her again in Heaven! We love you Mama Jean!

No comments:

Post a Comment