Thursday, August 4, 2016

Camp Winnataska - First Sleepover Camp!

Back in July, Hudson went to Camp Winnataska for 3 nights. It was his first overnight camping experience. I will say it was a hard 3 days for ME, but for him, no big deal! He LOVED it! He is my super independent child so we knew this would be right up his alley. He went with his buddy Hunt and really didn't know any others, which to me, was great. He was forced to make new friends, which isn't that what camp is all about?!?
 

Camp Winnataska was truly the hottest place on earth!!! I'm not even going to lie. There is no air conditioning at all. I was a hot sweaty mess getting Hudson's bed made and getting him all set up! The kids could not have cared less about the heat and the counselors assured me that it did cool off at night. I think I'll just take their word for that!

Packing for a first time camper was hard!!! They have a list, but I still didn't really know what he would need. There were special night outfits that he had to bring and then it was several additional outfits for each day. I pretty much packed his whole wardrobe just in case! I put everything in separate Ziploc bags with labels for when he was supposed to wear everything and went over all of it with him before I left. Do you think he listened to any of that??? NO. He wore what he wanted to wear and threw my ideas out the window! Ha!

 When we got to his cabin, I ran into a good high school friend whose son was also in Hudson's cabin! That was neat! We had to grab a picture! Making new buds already!

 After this picture, I said my goodbyes and went home. It was so weird leaving him! He was not even sad! He was ready for me to go! I know that's a good thing, but still.

Then the grueling wait for pictures started. I checked the camp website for pictures literally every 5 minutes. I knew if I saw him smiling in a picture, I would feel better. It wasn't until the next morning that they posted pictures and this was the first one I saw...

I knew in that moment that he was just fine!!!

 
This was Indian night and we had a cute Indian outfit that he was supposed to wear. As you can see, he definitely did NOT wear it! Ha! I think that was one of the funniest things about this--I could not wait to see what he picked out to wear each day!
 











He did wear the full get up for western night! I was proud of him for that! Ha! Although he looks so hot!!!
 


 
Saturday finally rolled around and we got to pick our boy up! The first thing he said was that he did not want to come home and wanted to stay for 2 weeks next year! I think camp was a good experience for sure! Mama can't handle 2 weeks though buddy...
 
He had LOTS of favorite things about camp. He was non-stop talking the whole ride home. It was so fun to hear about all of the activities that he did. Some of the funnies--We learned that he did take a shower, but did not use shampoo or soap. He just washed himself off real quick. Which, from what we've heard from others, is good that he even got IN the shower! He did not go #2 the entire time. He said he held it because he thought his group would leave him if he took too long. That took 2 weeks to clear up. :) And, he slept in wet pajamas every night because he took the whole Ziploc bag with him to the shower the first night (which had PJs for every night) and he put it on the ground IN the shower with him, and all the contents got soaked. He did not let his counselor know about this!

He did send me a letter home and I will keep it always. No, it was not on the stationary that I sent with him, but I would proud enough that he sent one home! The letter arrived on Saturday afternoon after he was home.
It says:

To Mom From Hudson
The shower flooded and everything got wet and I know you are missing me and we've taken our swim test and I got a blue wrist band.

Love this boy! So glad he had fun at camp! We'll definitely be back next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment