Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Infamous Superman T-shirt

I have been meaning to put this story on the blog for a few weeks now, but I had sort of forgotten about it until today. This is what appeared downstairs after someone was supposed to be napping today...apparently, he was playing dress up instead of napping! He said he needed a new outfit. Needless to say, we were in for the afternoon. I was too embarrassed to leave the house and it was certainly not a battle I was going to fight! :) He really, really, did think it matched. He kept telling me that it all had blue in it--which he did have a point! 
 
This Superman t-shirt is really something special. If you know me, you know that this kind of shirt is really not my thing. It's hard to explain--it's not that the shirt isn't cute, because to me, as far as little boys clothes go and how a lot of them look, this one is ok! I guess I would just rather dress him in something a little nicer while he's young and I can get away with it, but I do realize that these days are coming (I'm fighting battles more often now about what he wears!). He has a dinosaur t-shirt that I just despise, and he wants to wear it every.single.day. Anyway, all that to say, he doesn't get many chances to buy shirts like this so this is a real treat for him! :)

Hudson and I had a shopping date one Sunday afternoon a few weeks ago. We had done what we needed to do, but decided to head to Old Navy for a second. Hudson saw this shirt and just about died over it. Begged and begged to get it. I knew I was going to have to cave. It was tax free weekend, so the line at Old Navy was halfway down the store. We took the shirt and got in line and it was then that Hudson's major internal struggle started. I'm pretty indecisive too, so I know he gets it from me, but he took this to a whole new level! I had never seen his little mind work like that before. He kept saying he wanted it, then he didn't, then he wanted it again. I can't even count how many times he went and put the shirt up and then went back and got it! All the while, I'm thinking, there's no way I'm waiting all afternoon in this line if he doesn't want the shirt! I did have one other thing that I was buying, so I just let him decide what he wanted to do knowing that in the end, I knew he would want the shirt and we would be buying it. When we got to the counter, he told me one final time that he did NOT want the shirt, and he was pretty adamant about it. So, against my better judgment, I did what he told me! I told them we didn't want the shirt! Well, as soon as I paid for the other item, Hudson realized that I really didn't buy the shirt, and that was when the meltdown started. I'm talking, laying in the middle of Old Navy, big dinosaur tears streaming down his face, screaming as loud as he could about the darn shirt. I looked back at the line and it was almost to the back of the store at this point. We were NOT staying. Everyone was staring at us. He was entirely way too old to be throwing a fit of that magnitude in a public place, and I'm sure everyone was thinking what a horrible mom I was for letting him get away with it, but truly, I did not know what else to do! I ended up throwing him over my shoulder and carrying him out while he was kicking and screaming. It was very traumatic for the both of us!

I felt really bad about the whole thing because I knew he probably sensed my hesitation on the shirt and was trying to please me (he is most definitely our pleaser child!) by saying he did not want it when clearly, he wanted it, so I knew I had to go get that shirt! I was heading out of town the next day for Mobile, so I decided to go grab the shirt that morning and left it on his pillow that night with a note telling him that I was sorry, and that I hoped he had a great first day of school. According to Joel, he was SO excited about the shirt that he not only slept in it, he wore it to school the next day (in 95 degree weather mind you). I'm sure his new teacher was wondering why in the world we would send our child in a long-sleeved shirt in August. Glad Joel dropped him off that day--at least the men get a break with stuff like that! The things we do to make our kids happy...

I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot of Superman this fall. I'm just going to have to get over it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment