Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Fourth of July Weekend

We had a great Fourth of July weekend with our families. Friday, we headed to my parent's cabin, where we stayed for the weekend. Hudson ran straight from the car and jumped in the baby pool. This kid is a FISH!


A few minutes after we arrived, Trey, Shondra, and Morgan got there and Hudson immediately asked Morgan to go put on her swimsuit!

He's very shy around pretty girls!

On a side note, make sure you put a swimmy diaper on, even if it is the baby pool! We had a diaper explosion and it wasn't pretty! Regular diapers are not made to hold that much water. Trust me, you will be cleaning up all kinds of foamy stuff...not pretty!

Morgan and Hudson drew all over the court with chalk...and all over Trey too! Ha! Well, that was Hudson's doing. Morgan knows better!

That night, we headed to Mentone for a fish fry and a concert. It was SO fun, except for the fact that they ran out of fish right as we got there! So much for dinner! It didn't matter though--it was still so much fun sitting in our chairs, drinking our beverages, watching the kids play, and watching the Mentone crazies dance!


Hudson and Morgan found a cat and we could not get them away from it! Finally, it ran away, but not before we caught Hudson trying to climb under a deck to get to it.


We witnessed one of the most redneck first dances you have ever seen. A couple and their family (who we were told by the innkeeper make swamp people look good), got married in front of the bed and breakfast while the concert was going on around back, and then headed back to the concert for their first dance. It was pretty wild...picture, tie dye shirts (and dresses for that matter), mullets, mohawks, lots of cigarettes, zombie t-shirts, and a 40 year old groom (with one ear pierced) who appeared to be marrying a girl that is still in high school (or maybe his daughter???). Jury is out on whether or not there was a baby in that tummy! Yikes! But, hey, they looked very happy and it provided some great entertainment for the rest of us. I did sneak some pictures, but for the sake of the blog being public, I'm not going to put those on here for fear someone might know someone who knows them!!! Highly doubtful, but you never know!

Back to the concert, Hudson LOVES music, so he had a blast! I love this picture!


Once we got back to the cabin, Mom threw together some dinner and then we sang Happy Birthday to my mom (she turned 29!) with yummy strawberry cake! Then, it was bedtime. We tried new sleeping arrangements this time at the cabin. Hudson is no longer willing to sleep in the crib, so we put him in the kid's bedroom that has 3 twin beds, and so Hudson, Morgan, and I slept in there. I didn't want Morgan to have to deal with Hudson's wake up calls in the middle of the night by herself! Morgan thought it was going to be a fun slumber party. You know, once you turn the lights off, you talk ALL night long? Well, maybe when we were like 12 we did that, but this almost 30 year old can't hang like she used to. After a thousand questions from Morgan, including questions such as "what is your craziest dream, what is the funniest thing you ever said to anyone, your most embarassing moment" she told me that she could just stay up all night...I thought I might die! Ha! But finally, the talking stopped, and we actually had a great night's sleep once it got started. Hudson went right to sleep the minute he hit the bed and slept through all the talking. I was shocked! So, after a late night for at least one of us, the three of us headed down to Weiss Lake on Saturday morning for a day at the lake with Joel's family. We are lucky that it's only about a 30 minute drive from the cabin.

Hudson is now obsessed with the boat (no pictures on the boat this time). I did take one stroll on the boat in the morning when the lake was still smooth, but by the afternoon, there was no way I was going out in it in my condition! Hudson loved swimming, even more so than Memorial Day. He would have stayed in the lake all day had we let him.

He jumped off the dock probably 1,000 times, but only to his daddy and to Pops. Some of the others tried to get him to jump to them, but he refused. He knew who he could trust!


We had NINE dogs at the lake. It was total chaos. Four of them never got out of the water. It is amazing that they didn't drown!


There was even some brotherly fighting going on as usual. It actually looks like Joel is winning this battle! Shocker! :)


After a full day at the lake, we headed back to the cabin, where we had dinner and then headed out to the porch to watch the fireworks in the valley below. Little did we know that Dad was right below us lighting up some fireworks that about scared me to death! I grabbed Hudson so fast because I just knew that he was going to be in freak out mode, and he was just a smiling and laughing and pointing. He thought they were great. I am not one to want to be super close to fireworks, so them being about 20 feet over my head about did me in! Not Hudson though!

On Sunday, Joel, Morgan, and I went kayaking! It was a blast! These pictures were taken with my phone, so not the best quality, but we really had a fun morning out on the river!

Morgan was my kayaking partner, and about 2 minutes into our trip out, she decided she wanted to swim. She swam alongside the boat for about a mile before I made her get back in. I was afraid she was going to wear herself out! Sure enough, she fell asleep right after we turned around and I was alone again trying to paddle our two person kayak. We laughed that the pregnant one had to do all the work! It was fun though and it was such a great workout! Hudson got to go to the park with my mom and apparently wanted nothing to do with the playground, but rather wanted to play in the creek the whole time. Poor Mom!

We all took fabulous naps that afternoon. Hudson did not have a nap at all on Saturday and we were staying up late and getting up early, so he was exhausted. Joel had to go home on Sunday afternoon because he had some work he needed to do on Monday. Hudson and I stayed up there and showed off Hudson's new look...


Aren't these hilarious?!?! I had to slick back the hair and put on the white shirt for the full effect. Thanks to my dad for making the jean diaper purchase. I've wanted to buy a pack for a while now just for fun, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm now the proud owner of an entire box!

Monday, Mom told us to be ready at 9 am for a little activity. So, of course, we donned our red, white, and blue and met at the front of the house at 9.


My mom had planned a great Fourth of July parade for us all to partake in, complete with patriotic music and all! It wasn't cheesy at all, I promise! :)



The parade wrapped up at the flag pole, where we said the Pledge of Allegiance, and of course, sang Happy Birthday America. My little Hudson is STILL talking about waving his flag and singing Happy Birthday to America. He loved every minute of it!



Mom kept talking about these 3 tenors that she just loves, so Dad played a song by them. We all had a good chuckle over the fact that we were listening to Italian music on America's birthday! Don't worry, we did get some Lee Greenwood in eventually!
Then it was off to a ride in the big gator with Big Momma.
And a ride in the little gator--that we could NOT get Hudson off of all weekend. We had to set the steering wheel to go around in circles. He didn't quite have the steering down pat (don't worry, he only went off roading once by accident!), but he was obsessed with this thing. One night, he was so tired that his eyes kept closing while he was going around in circles. Talk about hilarious.


We spent most of our weekend outside. The weather up there is so much better than here! It did get hot, but it was bearable.
We played numerous games of horse on the basketball court. I finally did whip Trey, much to his disliking! I quit while I was ahead! Hudson even got in on the action and dunked it a few times. Oh how he LOVED playing with Unk Trey!

It was a GREAT weekend. We had a blast with our families. We ate entirely way too much. Let's just say my doctor is probably not going to be happy with me next week at my appointment because we ate dessert after lunch and dinner every night, AND in between! Hudson even asked for dessert after breakfast one morning. That is how bad it was! It was all so delicious though!

No comments:

Post a Comment