Monday, April 14, 2014

Big School!

Last week was a big week for us. Hudson is now registered for Kindergarten, and we are awaiting our crayon on our mailbox any day now! Exciting!
 
Hudson begged to come with me to register him because he wanted to see big school. He talked about it all morning at home before we went. He couldn't wait to see the playground! I, on the other hand, was not feeling so excited. I had the biggest lump in my throat! Kindergarten is an exciting time and I know for a fact that he'll love it, but the thought of having to drop him off and watch him go into a new school in a few months all by himself just makes me so sad! How is he ready for this!?!?! How is he going to remember his lunch room number? Will he know where to go??? I won't ever get to actually talk to the teacher! So many new things coming our way, it is scary! Also, I feel like we are about to lose our flexibility and freedom to go and do as we please, and this makes me a little sad too. We've had a great 5 years and this time has been so precious. I know he's ready though and this is just part of life and part of our new normal that I'm sure we will all have to get adjusted to!
 
Registration did not exactly go as planned (or as the picture above might suggest). The minute we pulled into the parking lot, Hudson flipped out. He refused to get out of the car, saying he was scared and nervous and didn't want to go, etc., which of course made things 100 times worse for me. He hid behind me in the office and wouldn't talk to anyone, which is SO not his personality. He usually talks everyone's ear off to the point where Joel and I often question where he came from! :) The police man in the office told him he would take him to see the playground while I did the paperwork, and he just didn't even acknowledge him. It was kind of embarrassing! I think he was just overwhelmed. I got Hudson to school and then I just lost it. I can't imagine how I'm going to act on August 11th! Geez! Say a prayer for us. Luckily, he'll have a couple more opportunities to see the school before the first day, so hopefully he will come around.

I still felt bad that afternoon for overwhelming him, so we went to the park after school and played until late. I'm loving these beautiful spring days and being able to stay out a little later before having to get dinner on the table. It is so nice to take our time!

 It was a beautiful day!

I know he'll be fine come August, but I'm still having trouble coming to terms with it all! Life is just going by so fast, I can't imagine how you could ever send your kid off to college! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment