Tuesday, August 12, 2014

We Survived the First Day!

Hudson had a GREAT first day of Kindergarten! He was so excited this morning. We all had to get up earlier than normal, but he couldn't wait to get dressed and get his backpack on. It was so funny because we always carried his backpack for him in preschool (he refused to carry his own!), so I was worried it might be an issue. It helped having a new one for sure. He had it on at least 30 minutes before go time.
 
He wanted to make sure everyone could see his backpack...
 
 The obligatory first day of school pictures. Normally, Harrison would be in these pictures too even though it wasn't his actual first day, but he was too busy throwing a fit. I don't think he cared very much about all the attention Hudson has gotten in the past few days. I don't blame him! It was not a good morning for him at all. He was very quick to say "bye-bye" to his brother, and then perked up and talked my ear off all the way to his school!

Hudson very impatiently waited in the carpool line for his turn to get out. He was already out of his seatbelt and ready to go, and had the window down talking to everyone walking by. He really wanted to just go ahead and get out, but I made him wait!

Then it was his turn to get out! He was gone so fast that I could barely even get a picture of him walking/running in! He never even looked back! And I'm happy to report that I did not cry at all! At least until my mom called and said, "This is a very important day for you too...one chapter of his life is over...blah blah blah". Thanks mom for reminding me!

 
He said that once he got into the school, he didn't know where to go, but someone grabbed him and took him to his class. He told me ALL about his day. In preschool, he would never tell me anything, but I got an earful today, and it was all good! Well, except he said he did not like entering his lunch room number and asked to take his lunch tomorrow. Ha! He made a new friend named Griffin, so that was good! He already says he's his new best friend. He couldn't remember any of the other names though. And he said he just loves Mrs. Boyd!
 
He's doing after school care a few days a week at our church across the street from the school. Even though I was DYING to go pick him up this afternoon, I wanted him to go ahead and do the whole routine so he would know what to do. He was so excited because he gets to play with his best buddy Haines at after school care!
 
 And by the way, he is sleeping in his name tag tonight...he is so funny! He said he could not wait to go back tomorrow. But, I will say, he was exhausted already. This is definitely going to be an adjustment and I have a feeling by Friday, he's not going to be so cheery.

We had to stop by Serendipity for an ice cream treat after school too! So fun!


What a great day it was! And we get to do it all over again tomorrow! I am happy that he was happy...that made it so much easier on me.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post, Mindy! He looks so cute and pleased with himself. I didn't realize your new home was on the other side of town...just in time for kindergarten!

    ReplyDelete