Tuesday, September 17, 2013

"I" Words

This boy is learning SO much in school this year.
 

Each week they are doing a different letter. Last year it was learning to write that letter. This year it is learning not only how to write it, but how it sounds, and what words start with that letter. This week is the letter "I". Each Monday, we have a homework assignment. We have to find 8 things around the house that start with that letter, and we are also supposed to let him take one of those things to school for show and tell.

My first thought was the word "iron." I don't like to make it too easy for Hudson when we do this (and most of the time he comes up with the words by himself, but like I said, this week was kind of hard). So, I went and got the iron and held it up to him and said, "Hudson, what is this?"

He had no clue. Not a single clue what it was. Clearly, as evidenced by our dry cleaning bill each month, ironing is not on the agenda. But, I KNOW we have used it in front of him before! Surely, right!?!?

You want to know what his first word was that he came up with all on his own??? Ipad.

Isn't that just so typical of this generation! Is Ipad even in the dictionary yet???

Second word...you guessed it...Iphone! Ha!

Then of course with did iron and ice cream and insect and so on. I even sat "Indian style" and asked him how I was sitting so he would get Indian, and then I remembered they don't call it that anymore. It's "criss cross applesauce" now if you were wondering! Oh he did not know what an Indian was after all so we scratched that one. I asked him who wore feathers out of their hats...his answer, Captain Hook. He was right on with that. Who was I to disagree?!!?

Coming up with "I" words that he would know was HARD though! Ha! I was even googling "I" words. We came up with 6 and left the last 2 for Joel to help with as I had a meeting last night.

When I looked at his sheet this morning, one of his last two words was "internet." I know that he knew Ipad and Iphone, but internet? That's impressive. That is until I asked Joel about it and he said he forgot to finish it with him so he just finished it himself!

Oh and of course we forgot to send him with an "I" word for show and tell this morning (not really wanting to give up our Ipad or Iphone, or most definitely not catching any insects, ice cream would melt, etc. I think we failed at homework this week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment