Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I Caved...Again

When my friends started doing Facebook, I laughed at them. I thought we were too old to do that and I vowed I would never get on it. Well, I got on it and it has been a great thing to be able to get back in touch with so many people. Then, I never thought I would have anything to talk about on a blog. I always read other blogs, but never imagined myself ever having one. Sometimes I feel like my life is so boring! Well, I caved on that too, and now all I can think about is what I'm going to say on the next blog...I write my blogs in my sleep! I have a ton of stuff to blog about! Who knew?!?! Now, I have caved again. I have entered the couponing world. All these other blogs that I read talk about their trips to the grocery store and how much they saved by clipping coupons. I always just kind of skipped over those posts because I thought, who in the world has time to do that? With work and raising a child, there's no way, right? I just thought some people have way too much time on their hands. Well, I mean to tell you, those people are smart and we are all stupid for not spending a few extra minutes each week doing it!

In my efforts to remain a part-time employee starting next month and with the economy the way that it is, I decided that maybe I could try it out while I'm still on my maternity leave and see just how hard it is, and see if I have the time to do it. I had no idea that it would become my most recent obsession and consume my life for right now (well, besides my little man!). I am a very competitive person. I competed all my life in sports and I suppose I am the way that I am because of that. I have gotten so into this that I can't wait to go to the grocery store next week to see if I save more than I did this week! It's actually really fun! I also can't wait to get the mail every day to see if there are coupons in it. I used to hate getting all that junk!!!

I got on the website www.grocerygame.com and signed up. That was the first step. I read all the rules that they say to do, got a Sunday paper, and I was off. I go to the grocery store on Sundays...my mom laughs at me because I go every Sunday afternoon. I have to do it that way. I plan out all my meals for the week and go to the store once a week. I can't think much further past that. Anyway, my first trip on Sunday was great! I am definitely still a novice at this, and I don't have a backlog of coupons like most people have that would have saved me even more on Sunday, but I spent around $90 before coupons, and ended up only paying $60. I saved $30! I thought that was really good for the first time out. My goal is to save more than what I actually pay for. We'll see if it happens!

Ok, enough rambling on my new hobby...here are some pics of the little guy.







This picture cracks me up. I came back from the grocery store on Sunday to find Hudson sacked out on the ottoman. Joel said that he couldn't get him to calm down so he just laid him on the ottoman and he fell asleep. It was hilarious! Don't worry, we were sitting there right next to him until he woke up!


1 comment:

  1. Hey Mindy, Hudson is precious! It has been too long--but it looks like y'all are doing great. I think he looks just like your dad in that second picture! Good luck with the coupon clipping--I've been trying to get into it too, so we'll see.

    ReplyDelete